20090805

Focus: Part 2: Focus points

Im a camera... focus on what?
A good article is about the writing... not about the content.
Bad content, well written, can be a pleasure to read.
Is this about content or about engagement... another paradox?

In part 1 I outlined the common inclination to be productive. To get something done.
I established that it isnt what I do or why I do it, its more a matter of doing it.
Now, in this second part, Ill attempt to delve more deeply into that undefined area of 'doing'.
I like doing a particular activity because Im able to achieve a good feeling. In that activity more so than others.
Ive learnt to do a particular thing really well because I enjoy doing it, I guess thats where my talent lies.
I will pursue those things that give me the joy of feeling productive more and more, getting ever closer to the thing that is most pleasing, that which I am best at, that which my talent allows me to excel at.
A series of assertive statements. They show that it is clearly the act of being engaged that brings about the feeling of growth. Growth as an extrapolation of regeneration and pleasure (Hey, not merely sensual!).
So... in my quest to achieve this state I have methods, I have observations, I have rational considerations. I have tools.
I find real-world examples distracting, Id much rather read a sentence over and over to grok it.
So.. here we come to the point. The focus point. Nice Segway...
Ill be honest. Up to some not-clearly delineated time ago, I was distracted. Ok Ill be even more honest. I am.
Then it dawned on me. Focus!
Bringing the senses into array, getting them aligned, with a clear view to...
What exactly?
Well... nothing actually!
As I kind of established before... its not what I focus on... Its the act of focussing...
So throw away the points...
What do I focus on then?
Well... nothing actually!
So with nothing I mean something. But not something concrete. Not God, although if that works for you, great!
Itll be something abstract, so it is something but its so abstract, its nothing...
Now the task is to find that abstract non-thing in my minds eye. Then once Ive found it. Never let it go. Kind of like a sweetheart, but as Sting says. If you love someone set them free...
Its there. Oh man! Its there. Its each to their own to discover this. May take a while...
There are no shortcuts but there are handrails. For example a spot on the wall...
Yea. I guess you could call it meditation...
When I came across it. I knew it. It was so simple really.
So on to part 3 where I talk about the tricks your mind has up its sleeve when you try to focus.
Back to main post

No comments:

Post a Comment