20090805

Focus: Part 1. The will to get stuff done

Part 1. The will to get stuff done

Procrastination: Enemy or Ally?
Mortality: My real driver.

Some people might argue that procrastination is necessary, the idea being that for creation to take place, there needs to be incubation/percolation.
I wont go any further into that, since to me, its a distractive line of thought.
It fits in with the greater school of thought that is more concerned with justifying existing behavioural patterns than transcending and improving.
Having said that, I do believe that the creative process hinges on processing time. To be creative I need to have time to reflect.
I want to get stuff done!
What's stopping me from taking a task and finishing it.
Man, I become so overwhelmed with things to do. And thanks David Allen. You really helped me.
Everybody wants to get stuff done.
So, Im thinking, I guess if I can more cleanly define what gives me that good feeling when Ive done something that Ive planned for a while, I can more easily make that happen.
Theres no problem with involvement with a task. The problem lies somewhere in the before processes.
With the problem I mean that which impedes us, prevents us from doing what we know needs doing in order to feel fulfilled. Once Im up and running, Im good. Nothing can stop me.
Ive had that moment where I was so engaged with what I was doing, I felt intensely satisfied. I guess my urge is to feel that again and hence my will to produce/(re)generate.
Feelings fade. Maybe Ill have a revelation and maybe it'll have a lasting impact for say a week, and there are ways to extend that time but in the end, its a feeling and feelings fade.
So to relive that feeling I need a redo, to repeat what I did the first time. Become intensely immersed in my activity.
So much so that I dont remember where I am, who I am or what the reason is.
I love that. It revives, revitalises, replenishes.
So it doesnt matter what Im doing, its about intent. Not why Im doing it. Only that Im doing it.
The will to get stuff done is all about revisiting feelings of intense satisfaction that once lived are never forgotten, always prized and pursued to the end.
These feelings are not induced through a particular activity or specific motivation. They come about through some wonderful combination of curiosity, will to live and caring.
Part 2 deals with focus points.
Back to main post

1 comment:

  1. "The will to get stuff done is all about revisiting feelings of intense satisfaction that once lived are never forgotten, always prized and pursued to the end."

    Did you take that from me/NLP?

    ~DJV

    ReplyDelete