20090904

Focus: Part 4: The antipode to focus: distractions

This is going to be an interesting part to the 'focus' series.
Distractions. The most annoying, difficult things to deal with in the quest for focus.
Keeping the mind focussed on one thing, or more precisely on a non-thing, is one of the hardest things to do.
Where is the point where I lose the focus and where is the point that I realise that Ive lost the focus and return?
The mind (and plenty has been written about this) has a tendency to wander off. It will follow every little lead, some more than others. So its notoriously hard to keep in check, let alone keep tabs on.
Distractions are things that happen in our environment that take our attention. Its probably important to distinguish between external and internal distractions at this point.
Internal distractions are the ones Im most concerned with.
External distractions such as sounds and images are much less controllable and will need to be left alone.
I can live with those and still hold my focus. Internal distraction are the ones I want to check.
In my attempts to gain focus I will, without any doubt, have images, thoughts, associations etc. come into my mind and occupy it. The mind is only capable of focussing on one thing at a time. Multitasking is possible but is done the same way as with computers, giving every process a little bit of time in series. So one task, then the next process, then the next line of thought etc.
Now this is where awareness or Self comes in. Notice the upper case Self (not the same as the awareness of self or self awareness[lower case self]). My awareness is NOT my mind. My awareness is a separate layer of conciousness that can percieve much more. The mind is a tool. Awareness is a state of being that observes. That's all awareness does, it percieves. It is the Self taking note. If I take action after observing something then I can employ my mind to calculate what the best action is, or I can allow my mind to dwell on previous actions undertaken after similar observations. The point here is that the awareness or Self does not take the action.
So in the same way when thoughts, images, sounds are attacking our focus attempt, Self has the ability to observe these attacks. And again, all the Self does in this instance is observe.
So this is how I deal with distractions. I observe them. While I observe them, I know they are vying for my attention but its my choice whether I grant them time.
There is a very subtle area of conciousness where this balancing act takes place. There is no attachment to what is taking place. It is devoid of attachment. It is the area where I experience full empowerment of my ability to fulfill my human potential. The sweet spot. When I am in that zone, I know, and like any skill, I practise and become adept and deepen.
Part 5: Finale
Back to main post

No comments:

Post a Comment